This is the most stripped-down watch in Panerai’s current collection and it also signifies the entry level price into the world of Panerai Watches Malaysia Replica in-house moves. It is actually a rather new movement — that the caliber P.5000 was introduced only a couple of decades ago and back in 2013, HODINKEE creator Ben Clymer have a look at the opinion where it was introduced: the PAM 510, which has a moments sub-dial in the 9:00 position. The PAM 560 is newer than the motion — we saw it for the first time at the 2014 edition of the SIHH, and the feeling we have is that it is a part of a general movement throughout the board to make all Panerai watches powered by at-home movements. We haven’t spent a tremendous amount of time together with Panerais actually on the wrist here at HODINKEE, however the company’s increasing reliance on Panerai-made movements made us interested to find out what kind of an impression the PAM 560 makes in person.It’s not the biggest Panerai (after all, there’s the 52 mm Mare Nostrum) at 44 mm in diameter. It’s water resistant to 300 meters, and there is sapphire front and rear so that you can watch caliber P.5000 in the office. The very thick strap is held in place by screwed-in bars and the buckle is very much a no-nonsense affair, using a curved, wide pin that just happens to replicate the shape of the lever which holds the crown in place (whether intentional, or serendipitous, it’s a very wonderful touch). That combination crown-guard/locking system, as well as the utterly uncluttered “sandwich” dial, is exactly what makes the Luminor instantly identifiable.
At the end of the year that was the best ever, with traffic stats up by over 60% across all metrics, here’s a look at our ten top stories of 2014.
In terms of readership stories on Rolex and Seiko trump all the others, which is unsurprising since both are probably the most searched watch brands online. Other notable stories are our editorials on the end of the road for rising watch prices (ranked 6th and 8th), and the compilation of opinions from key figures in high horology on the Apple Watch. Here are the ten most popular articles of the last year. 10. Hands-On With The Jaeger-LeCoultre Geophysic 1958 Reissue Jaeger-LeCoultre recreated the Geophysic chronometer as a limited edition, enlarging the case but sticking closely to the look of the original, while making it available at an accessible price – a good recipe for success.
9. Hands-On With The Patek Philippe Nautilus Travel Time Ref. 5990/1A We went up close with the Nautilus Travel Time, Patek Philippe’s latest sports chronograph that offers substantially more than the watch it replaces, for just a little bit more money, though the Nautilus is tremendously pricey to start with.
8. Introducing the Longines Heritage 1935, a Remake of its Iconic Czech Air Force Watch Longines reissued its distinctive, cushion-shaped aviator’s watch made for the Czech Air Force in the thirties and we compared the remake with the original.
7. Up Close With The Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000 Ref. 116600 The Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000 made its comeback at Baselworld 2014, very much the same but significantly improved, especially with the bracelet and clasp. With our comparison of the new and old Sea-Dwellers at number two on the list, the Sea-Dweller is a crowd favourite.
6. EDITORIAL: Are watches too expensive? (Part 2) Obviously the answer is yes, and the slowdown in business has proved our thesis. Part 1 of this editorial is number six on this list.
5. Explaining The Panerai Watches Florence Replica P.9000 Automatic Movement – We Take It Apart And Put It All Back Together We took apart the Panerai P.9000 movement and put it all back together, revealing the details of the calibre and how it works.
4. EDITORIAL: Are watches too expensive? (Part 1) Evidently a lot of people agreed.
3. What The Watch Industry Thinks Of The Apple Watch Despite being non-existent, the Apple Watch was probably the hottest timepiece of 2014. We solicited opinions from movers and shakers in watchmaking, ranging from Max Busser of MB&F to Lange CEO Wilhelm Schmid, about their thoughts on the Apple Watch.
2. COMPARISON: Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000 Refs. 16600 vs. 116600 We put together the old and new Sea-Dweller 4000.
1. Introducing The Seiko Credor Eichi II – The Finest Three-Hand Watch Made In Japan, And Possibly The World But the less affordable ones seem to be even more so. We broke the news of the US$50,000 Seiko Credor Eichi II in August and it quickly became a hot topic. With only 20 made each year, it is no wonder that there is a waiting list for this watch.
Thanks for reading. See you in 2015!