This is definitely the most stripped-down view in Panerai’s current collection and it also signifies the entry level cost to the world of Panerai Watches Singapore Replica in-house moves. It is actually a relatively new movement — the caliber P.5000 was released only a couple of decades ago and back in 2013, HODINKEE creator Ben Clymer took a peek at the watch where it was released: the PAM 510, that has a moments sub-dial at the 9:00 position. The PAM 560 is newer than the movement — we watched it for the very first time in the 2014 variant of the SIHH, and the impression we have is that it’s a part of an overall move throughout the board to produce all Panerai watches powered by at-home movements. We have not spent an enormous quantity of time together with Panerais actually on the wrist here at HODINKEE, but the firm’s increasing reliance on Panerai-made moves made us curious to find out what sort of an impression that the PAM 560 makes in person.It is not the largest Panerai (after all, there is the 52 millimeter Mare Nostrum) in 44 millimeters in diameter. It’s water resistant to 300 meters, and there is sapphire front and back so you can watch caliber P.5000 at work. The very thick strap is kept in place by screwed-in bars along with the buckle is very much a no-nonsense affair, using a curved, broad pin that only happens to replicate the form of the lever that holds the crown in place (whether deliberate, or serendipitous, it is a very wonderful touch). That mix crown-guard/locking system, in addition to the completely uncluttered “sandwich” dial, is exactly what makes the Luminor instantly identifiable.
At the end of the year that was the best ever, with traffic stats up by over 60% across all metrics, here’s a look at our ten top stories of 2014.
In terms of readership stories on Rolex and Seiko trump all the others, which is unsurprising since both are probably the most searched watch brands online. Other notable stories are our editorials on the end of the road for rising watch prices (ranked 6th and 8th), and the compilation of opinions from key figures in high horology on the Apple Watch. Here are the ten most popular articles of the last year. 10. Hands-On With The Jaeger-LeCoultre Geophysic 1958 Reissue Jaeger-LeCoultre recreated the Geophysic chronometer as a limited edition, enlarging the case but sticking closely to the look of the original, while making it available at an accessible price – a good recipe for success.
9. Hands-On With The Patek Philippe Nautilus Travel Time Ref. 5990/1A We went up close with the Nautilus Travel Time, Patek Philippe’s latest sports chronograph that offers substantially more than the watch it replaces, for just a little bit more money, though the Nautilus is tremendously pricey to start with.
8. Introducing the Longines Heritage 1935, a Remake of its Iconic Czech Air Force Watch Longines reissued its distinctive, cushion-shaped aviator’s watch made for the Czech Air Force in the thirties and we compared the remake with the original.
7. Up Close With The Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000 Ref. 116600 The Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000 made its comeback at Baselworld 2014, very much the same but significantly improved, especially with the bracelet and clasp. With our comparison of the new and old Sea-Dwellers at number two on the list, the Sea-Dweller is a crowd favourite.
6. EDITORIAL: Are watches too expensive? (Part 2) Obviously the answer is yes, and the slowdown in business has proved our thesis. Part 1 of this editorial is number six on this list.
5. Explaining The Panerai Watches Pam 90 Replica P.9000 Automatic Movement – We Take It Apart And Put It All Back Together We took apart the Panerai P.9000 movement and put it all back together, revealing the details of the calibre and how it works.
4. EDITORIAL: Are watches too expensive? (Part 1) Evidently a lot of people agreed.
3. What The Watch Industry Thinks Of The Apple Watch Despite being non-existent, the Apple Watch was probably the hottest timepiece of 2014. We solicited opinions from movers and shakers in watchmaking, ranging from Max Busser of MB&F to Lange CEO Wilhelm Schmid, about their thoughts on the Apple Watch.
2. COMPARISON: Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000 Refs. 16600 vs. 116600 We put together the old and new Sea-Dweller 4000.
1. Introducing The Seiko Credor Eichi II – The Finest Three-Hand Watch Made In Japan, And Possibly The World But the less affordable ones seem to be even more so. We broke the news of the US$50,000 Seiko Credor Eichi II in August and it quickly became a hot topic. With only 20 made each year, it is no wonder that there is a waiting list for this watch.
Thanks for reading. See you in 2015!