Needless to say, the exact same motion is packed to the PAM563 that’s basically the exact same opinion only with a running seconds sub-dial at nine — it even has the exact same part count for the motion, it is just that the dial has an opening for the moments pinion to come through and includes a hand installed onto it. It is a good CHF 500 more expensive which is quite much for the same movement and only an additional complication — but the expression of the watch does shift to something much more complicated by it.Thirdly, the principal plate and bridges are done utilizing a low-friction composite material that integrates Tantalum-based ceramic and eliminates the need for additional lubrication. This decreases the demand for stones and their requisite lubrication because pivot friction is lessened due to this composite high carbon percent. As a result, only four jewels are used and they also possess a DLC coating onto them eliminating the necessity to further lubricate the Incabloc shock system.I presume to some extent that’s based on a few movements Panerai used ages ago, but in truth, here it is actually about extending that power reserve as much as possible.
At the end of the year that was the best ever, with traffic stats up by over 60% across all metrics, here’s a look at our ten top stories of 2014.
In terms of readership stories on Rolex and Seiko trump all the others, which is unsurprising since both are probably the most searched watch brands online. Other notable stories are our editorials on the end of the road for rising watch prices (ranked 6th and 8th), and the compilation of opinions from key figures in high horology on the Apple Watch. Here are the ten most popular articles of the last year. 10. Hands-On With The Jaeger-LeCoultre Geophysic 1958 Reissue Jaeger-LeCoultre recreated the Geophysic chronometer as a limited edition, enlarging the case but sticking closely to the look of the original, while making it available at an accessible price – a good recipe for success.
9. Hands-On With The Patek Philippe Nautilus Travel Time Ref. 5990/1A We went up close with the Nautilus Travel Time, Patek Philippe’s latest sports chronograph that offers substantially more than the watch it replaces, for just a little bit more money, though the Nautilus is tremendously pricey to start with.
8. Introducing the Longines Heritage 1935, a Remake of its Iconic Czech Air Force Watch Longines reissued its distinctive, cushion-shaped aviator’s watch made for the Czech Air Force in the thirties and we compared the remake with the original.
7. Up Close With The Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000 Ref. 116600 The Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000 made its comeback at Baselworld 2014, very much the same but significantly improved, especially with the bracelet and clasp. With our comparison of the new and old Sea-Dwellers at number two on the list, the Sea-Dweller is a crowd favourite.
6. EDITORIAL: Are watches too expensive? (Part 2) Obviously the answer is yes, and the slowdown in business has proved our thesis. Part 1 of this editorial is number six on this list.
5. Explaining The Panerai Watch Pam 048 40mm Replica P.9000 Automatic Movement – We Take It Apart And Put It All Back Together We took apart the Panerai P.9000 movement and put it all back together, revealing the details of the calibre and how it works.
4. EDITORIAL: Are watches too expensive? (Part 1) Evidently a lot of people agreed.
3. What The Watch Industry Thinks Of The Apple Watch Despite being non-existent, the Apple Watch was probably the hottest timepiece of 2014. We solicited opinions from movers and shakers in watchmaking, ranging from Max Busser of MB&F to Lange CEO Wilhelm Schmid, about their thoughts on the Apple Watch.
2. COMPARISON: Rolex Sea-Dweller 4000 Refs. 16600 vs. 116600 We put together the old and new Sea-Dweller 4000.
1. Introducing The Seiko Credor Eichi II – The Finest Three-Hand Watch Made In Japan, And Possibly The World But the less affordable ones seem to be even more so. We broke the news of the US$50,000 Seiko Credor Eichi II in August and it quickly became a hot topic. With only 20 made each year, it is no wonder that there is a waiting list for this watch.
Thanks for reading. See you in 2015!